Blog on Indian Economics, Personal Views and Interests

Google Maps not showing J&K and Arunachal as part of India

I was appalled when I saw that Google stopped showing Jammu & Kashmir and Arunachal as part of India. I was browsing through my Google Analytics hit counts from countries when I noticed this. Why Google has to listen to China or Pakistan when they are already Part of India since Independence?

However, the striking fact is that these two states are now also not part of either Pakistan or China, showcasing these as Disputed territories in Google’s International Maps site. Should not Google respect International Borders released by United Nations? One can understand Jammu & Kashmir to be shown as disputed but still only north from LOC (P.O.K.) should have been show as disputed. Arunachal Pradesh is a State of India, and is governed by the Government of India and showing Arunachal Pradesh under dispute is not something we can digest.

Google Analytics MAP not showing Jammu & Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh
Google Analytics MAP not showing Jammu & Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh

Further more, I checked with three different Google Maps to find out how it shows on the Google Maps. And this what it turned out to be. Last time it was red flagged for this, Google had issued clarifications about the same and had assured that the same will be reverted back to the earlier data.

Last year August (2010), Minister of State for Telecom and IT Sachin Pilot said that Government had sent a notice to Google for Showing P.O.K. as part of Pakistan. “Any wrongful depiction of Indian map and its boundaries is liable for action under the India Information Technology Act. Google has been asked to immediately correct this inaccuracy”. After this was issued, Google had still found a way still to please China, Pakistan and India by amending local versions of Google Maps for respective countries.

Google MAPS International (maps.google.com) shows both J&K and Arunachal as disputed territories
Google MAPS China (ditu.google.cn) shows J&K as a part of Pakistan with dashed borders denoting the Dispute and Arunachal as China's territory Google MAPS China (ditu.google.cn) shows J&K as a part of Pakistan with dashed borders denoting the Dispute and Arunachal as China's territory
Google MAPS India (maps.google.co.in) shows J&K and Arunachal as India's territory

An interesting strings of Questions have been fired to Google and I would like to mention one reply from Google.

It is Google’s standard practice to show all disputed regions around the world on its global properties, such as on maps.google.com. It has been Google’s consistent and global policy to depict disputed regions as per the claims made by the disputing/claiming nations on its global properties. This does not in any way endorse or affirm the position taken by any side but merely provides complete information on the prevailing geo-political situation to our users of global properties in a dispassionate and accurate manner. Products that have been localized to the local domain of a region such as maps.google.co.in may depict that country’s position as per the mandate of their local laws.

This was replied by a Google Employee on the Google Maps Support forum. Agreed that Google Maps Local versions have been tweaked to accede to the Law of the Land, but then that too should be implied through out all of its products.

From a Business perspective, Google Analytics not showing data for Jammu & Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh, (the company I work for have a few Business Associates located in these regions) I need information of how many hits I am getting from these regions.

Yahoo! too has this same distinction when it comes to their Local Versions. Yahoo! Maps for India shows P.O.K. as part of India, but International version shows it as part of Pakistan.

Yahoo! Maps International showing P.O.K. as part of Pakistan
Yahoo! Maps International showing P.O.K. as part of Pakistan

Yahoo! has not resorted to showing P.O.K. or Arunachal Pradesh as disputed territory but instead, for its International version it has shown that P.O.K. as part of Pakistan. Anyone who is not informed about the dispute considers P.O.K. as Part of Kashmir.

Yahoo! Maps India showing P.O.K. as part of India
Yahoo! Maps India showing P.O.K. as part of India
21 Comments
  1. Amit Singh says

Today google is showing complete map of India is not because of pakistan or china but this is our country politics, our political parties are fighting among themselves for their profit only. I think our our poor politics is responsible for all this nonsense.

2. Shoba says

I have also noticed for very long. I reserach about the history of those regions just for my own passion and whenever I saw those maps, it pains. On my part the only thing I could do is to avoid much of google products. When google bought android I thought I wont use android too. I do use google search or gmail at times but I avoid as much as I can. It’is not being fanatic but it is my pain and that is the only level I can express it.

3. praveen says

jammu kashmir was part of india,is part of india and will always be part of india.I was shocked when i saw the map of j&k split into many parts.i don’t know what the govt. of india is doing about this.it must take some severe actions agst google

4. Sachin Menon says

How about creating groups on social networking sites like facebook and others to group and protest against such an anti-India presentation?

Google for sure has offices in India , dont they ?

1. Hemal Shah says

welcome to my blog Sachin! 🙂

Sure the voice has already been raised though its not organized yet. Google is aware of this and is already working towards taking this resolve to best of the conflicting interests.

5. Soan says

Interesting. In fact i just found this while viewing my site’s analytics and searched on net to see if anybody has indeed written about it and found you.

It was good to read about the yahoo’s version also.
    Keep it up.

1. Hemal Shah says

Thank you very much for your comments Anil and welcome to my Blog 🙂 Cheers

6. Kaustov says

crippled blind, deaf, dumb Indian enjoy the partition of the country again after 1947. Hurray!!!

1. Hemal Shah says

Welcome to my blog Kaustov. its just sad that we have to see this today what our forefathers fought for… to see a united India for their next generation..

7. saumya says

that’s outrageous,…google just wants to appease china but what about pakistan,why is pok it’s part…this shows we indian’s shouldn’t trust anyone and make our own efforts and our country so powerful that the likes of google are run by us.

1. Hemal Shah says

yes very much Saumya, certainly every one who sees this feels the same way. For sure we need so much technical advances to match and create companies with the clout as that of Google

8. Avada Kedavra says

oh that is really shocking..never noticed that..Indian gov must do something about it..

1. hemal says

yep! i hope some one takes notice to these issues soon..

9. Mohini Puranik says

Thanks Hemal! Shocking i feel i should die now. i mean frustrated sometimes really, I see this govt, may be only govt, who is successful for doing nothing, on any issue. PM,s silence on everything.

1. Hemal says

no need to die dear.. google is hearing us i guess..

10. ryan says

what F**** indian media doing

1. hemal says

they are playing cat and mouse with politicians

11. Kailash says

Hey,
    I also saw the same thing in google analytical, how come google is not displaying our states as India.
    Indian gov. should take an action against it.

1. Hemal Shah says

@Kailash welcome to my blog 🙂

yes very very well said that Indian Govt. should issue a notice to Google on the same.

12. sandy says

I know! I saw google maps the other day and was appalled. Kudos to you for making an effort to take our voice out!

1. Hemal Shah says

Welcome to my Blog Sandy!

Thanks for the appreciation 😀 Some one had to, so I thought why not me?